Thursday, February 2, 2017

Nova #3 - Review

Nova #3 - 4 (of 5) Gravimetric Pulses ❋❋

You know, after 45+ years of reading comics, I don't get caught off-guard very often. But Nova #3 gave me a "HOLY ----!" moment. More on that later.

The fight in the bar had a Spaghetti Western feel to me. I know that sounds odd but, to me, all that was missing was some ponchos and little stogies. Seriously, in my head I could hear the soundtrack from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

A scene I enjoyed was the subtle display of how much more powerful Rich is than Sam. After rightfully becoming angry with Titus, SA Nova unleashed his anger and strength on him. After repeatedly being punched, Titus shrugs and tells Sam how Sam's father hit harder and knocks him out.

With Sam knocked out, Rich faces the three bounty hunters on his own. In contrast to Sam's fight, RR Nova gives Titus the Guy Gardner one-punch treatment and tosses him into the Chitauri with very little effort. Not to mention holding off Death's Head at the same time!

But since Annihilation, Rich is more than just power. He has become a strategist on the level of Steve Rogers. Using Cosmo for communications, stalling while planning (a very funny scene) and, most importantly, knowing how to intelligently implement the weapons around him. Realizing he has a better chance with the bounty hunters than Sam, Rich is still smart enough to send Sam to the bomb on Knowhere as a backup plan.

And then - the "HOLY ----!" moment.....

I did not see it coming. No sir, I did not. Had no idea that Rich was going to squid out and go halfsies on the Chitauri. The Cancerverse infection (I still think it's from whatever Lord Mar-Vell planted in RR Nova during The Thanos Imperative) is becoming stronger. Either Rich is able to now control it to a degree or the creature is able to control Rich when the host body is threatened.

Either way, an intriguing plotline that keeps me wanting to get to the next issue. And I especially love that Loveness and Perez didn't just have Rich come back and everything is a-okay.

And the issue wasn't just all action. The aftermath of the fight in the Knowhere bar continues the simply terrific relationship Rich and Sam have developed. It's obvious from Rich's advice on life that Richard Rider has learned from his experience in the Cancerverse. And he's mature enough as a mentor to advise Sam on the lessons learned.

The epilogue in Rich's quarters on Knowhere was a great setup to next issue. It's the subtle things like Dr. Sun's helmet and the pictures of the New Warriors that show the love this creative team has for both Novas.

The art has finally won me over. The storytelling in the art is solid and helps tell the story as much as the dialogue. While the minimalist style isn't my usual taste, I'll take substance over style any day.

Unlike some creators, this creative team has done their homework and have plenty of talent to produce a book worthy of both Novas and their fans' support.


3 comments:

  1. So I picked up the first two issues over the weekend. I haven't gotten the third yet and I really enjoy them. The second issue in particular was great. The bar scene on Knowhere and the reunion with Cosmo really moved me.

    I didn't read the end of Sam's old run. Did they ever say what happened to the rest of Rich's Nova Corp members? I'm guessing nothing good considering that pile of empty Nova helmets Sam had collected. What happened to Robbie? Is the Worldmind gone? Also it was crazy to see Sam helping Ego considering what he did to the Novas during Rich's tenure as Nova Prime. I kinda wish that had come up to give Rich an excuse to go slap Ego around again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the fate of the Resolute Duty, Zan Philo, the powerless Probationers and Namorita has never been addressed as far as I know.

      As for the WorldMind, the final two issues of Sam's last run (Nova #10 and #11) had the return of the WM and would be a good issue to pick up.

      Delete
  2. Finished reading NOVA #03 and I cosign most of you comments except one: the artwork. But the story telling is so good that it doesn't bother me. Let's see where this team will take Novas next.

    ReplyDelete