Monday, December 5, 2016

Nova #1 - Review

Disclaimer: This is my first attempt at reviewing a comic. I honestly don't think my opinion matters much but I have had people ask me what I think of a Nova issue when it comes out. So I guess I'll give it a shot. Oh, and just to be fair - spoilers are ahead...

Nova #1 - 4 (of 5) Gravimetric Pulses ❋❋❋❋

The first issue of the new series has a lot going for it out of the gate. It picks up where the epilogue of Nova #11 ended. Rich has returned and we discover his father has passed away while he was in the Cancerverse.

When Rich sees the reflection of his mom in the mirror as a grotesque zombie-like monster, it appears that he is suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. However, at the end of the issue, we discover it is a sign of something far worse....

Sam, on the other hand, has an encounter with Ego the Living Planet. After helping Ego deal with an alien infestation, Sam heads home to deal with an average school day. And that ends up being anything but average. Let's just say that Sam does not have the smooth when it comes to meeting a girl....

The creative team approaches the book from fresh perspectives that I really like.

The pages with Rich are more mature with a very good inner dialogue. The page where he reflects on his youth and playing on the swings showed me that Loveness and Perez get Rich Rider. To me, he sounds like Rich! The essence of it reminded me of Rich's dialogue when he fought the Sphinx in The Man Called Nova #11 (my favorite issue).

I also appreciate that the writers didn't just have Rich show up, be fine and happy with no side effects. Too many comics have had heroes return that way and it rarely feels right to me.

The final page makes me wonder if perhaps we're seeing the result of Lord Mar-Vell's infection of Rich back in Thanos Imperative? Or is the doorway Rich created in the Guardians of the Galaxy's Original Sin story arc still cracked open inside his body? The important part is that I'm intrigued enough to pick up the next issue to find out.

Sam is presented with a more humorous angle than we have seen before. And it works so well, especially in the school setting. Having his friends know Sam's secret makes for some really fun moments.

And in this series, Sam doesn't feel so burdened at home or school. He acts more like a youngster and it's refreshing. I'm sure Sam is presented this way to be a counter balance to the mature, experienced Rich. And I think it's a great approach.

From the art perspective, I enjoy how the Rich and Sam segments are presented with slightly different art styles. Rich's pages are a more traditional superhero comic look. Sam's, on the other hand, remind me of the style we saw in DC's youth oriented books and the Marvel Adventures Super Heroes series.

The contrast in styles reflect the contrast in characters between Rich and Sam. It will be interesting to see how it all comes together when the heroes finally meet and work alongside each other.

To me, the series is off to a very good start!


No comments:

Post a Comment