Tuesday, August 19, 2014

My Thoughts On The New Bendis Interview

There's a new interview with Brian Michael Bendis on the upcoming Rich Rider Original Sin story arc in Guardians of the Galaxy:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54899

I'm thinking it's looking more like Rich will be returning in GotG #20.

I'm reading Bendis's statements as saying "I'm not to blame for Rich's demise but I'll be the one you can thank when he returns just like I did with Peter, Thanos and Drax."

Plus, if Bendis and Marvel were intent on Rich being dead/gone, why devote a three issue arc to it? Either don't bring up the subject or do a "behind the scenes story" in one issue to drive home the fact Rich is dead.

Also, if it's shown Rich died due to Peter's actions (his Original Sin), then Bendis's favorite Guardian character and Marvel Studio's golden boy of the moment will look really bad. But if Peter and the Guardians bring Rich back in the arc, then the Guardians look even better to readers.

And the cover to #20 looks like the Guardians are trying to hold open a portal in space. Hopefully it's to get Rich out of the Cancerverse.

Also, why would he have a dinner/writers summit with Duggan if it wasn't to coordinate the two Novas? An off the wall thought here - it seems odd that Ed McGuinness was brought in for just this one particular arc. I'm thinking it's to set up a new Nova Prime book with McGuinness as the artist.

And with Dan Abnett being back in the Marvel cosmic realm with Guardians 3000, maybe Abnett (or Lanning) will be returning to write the Nova Prime book?

6 comments:

  1. I certainly hope you're right, that Annihilation run including Rider/GotG was the reason I got back into comic books after a 15 year hiatus. NOVA was always the book I made sure my comic book store reserved for me, and was always excited to see what I thought was a truly badass and interesting cosmic Superhero.
    I also play the Marvel Heroes online game, and he is scheduled to be released in that game at the end of October. (after an 18 month delay with players clamoring to bring Rich in as the default) Sam Alexander is the default, but an ENHANCED Richard Rider costume has already been confirmed, so I hope that the developers know something and that is the reason his release will pretty much coincide with the last book of the GotG arc. Very possible it is speculation, or just hope that my savior de la comic books returns as he should, otherwise I probably won't buy comic books anymore....might be extreme, but man I miss Rider. Keep up the good work dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to add to my previous comment, I will admit that Sam Alexander from the beginning was a no go for me, simply because he WASNT Rich. Ive read a few excerpts here and there, and it doesnt seem bad..it's just not Rich. In my opinion, if Rider was to be brought back, Sam's sales could possibly "skyrocket" because fans would no longer have the disdain for him, knowing the Nova Prime is back. I for one would be glad to purchase Sam's book to get caught up, but not until I know Rich is alive. That's fanaticism for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I think a Nova franchise with two titles would help both. And eventual crossovers would have fantastic story possibilities. You know, I got to thinking, if Abnett or Lanning chose not to do a Nova Prime book, I'd flip out of my chair if Marvel brought in Keith Giffen to write the book! Is he still DC exclusive?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I saw a picture from one of the GOTG with Rich it showed his arm being taken off by the revengers Capt America, that does not bode well for how and if they bring Rich back.

    http://forums.cosmicbooknews.com/showthread.php?t=4727&page=56

    See bottom of the page and click spoiler

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Dean!

    I'm not too worried about Rich's arm due to the other things that happened in the issue. It talked about how everyone couldn't die and seemed to be healed by the properties of the Cancerverse.

    I'm guessing Rich's arm will grow right back. Plus, in Age of Ultron #10 when we see Rich near the end of the issue, he has both arms.

    ReplyDelete