Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Cosmic Future

In the newest solicitations for May, there is an obvious gap where the cosmic titles should be. In place of Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy, we are introduced to the next cosmic event called The Thanos Imperative!

On a number of message boards, there has been speculation (and some borderline panic!) that the two titles are being cancelled. Personally, I think it's way too early to jump to conclusions.

Is it a simple hiatus for the books while TTI is going on or is it a sign of massive upheaval? We simply don't know what's going on at this point.

There's also a rumor that Nova will be joining the new Secret Avengers title by Ed Brubaker. If true, that would be awesome (imo)! I enjoy Ed's work very much and think he'd have a great take on Nova. As long as the current Nova title continues, I'll be one happy dude.

I expect Marvel will make some announcements in the next few weeks about the cosmic books. I do know there are big changes coming but how big and what shape they'll take, we'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

  1. Naturally there is going to be speculation and even some panic. Fans of the characters love what Abnett and Lanning are doing with the books but know that mid-level Marvel books aren't doing so well with the bad economy and the era of the $4 comic. Also, one of the books' strengths are that they come out on time.

    So when the books don't show up in the solicits without a public explanation, naturally people are going to say something, speculate, and, yes, even panic that some of their favorite books might be going away. More troubling was that people were NOT talking about it on the comic book message board I frequent so I started a thread to gauge interest and get the word out.

    It sounds like you are privy to some of the behind-the-scenes stuff. Perhaps through the Editors and creators. Keep in mind the rest of us don't have that and could not know about any big changes down the road. Therefore the future of our two favorite books is a question mark until we hear a public response.

    I like Brubaker's work. If he becomes an Avenger, great! Some cross-promoting couldn't hurt. I just hope it isn't a case of one creator claiming the character for a new direction while the old series is put to bed.

    Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, R.R.!!!

    I'll be honest, when I first saw that Nova was missing from the solicits, I thought I was going to need a defib.

    So I do understand the reactions. I just worry that if it whips into too much of a panic without more actual information, people will drop the book or not give it a shot since they think it's being cancelled.

    I think Marvel should have had some kind of press release about The Thanos Imperative (its release structure, how Nova and GotG are impacted, etc.) released a day or two before the solicits went public.

    Solicits (normally) aren't allowed to go out before 12pm ET on a Tuesday. Doing a release the Monday before would have been a good time to do it.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete